Covid 19: Our website and phone lines are operating as normal and our teams are on hand to deal with all enquiries. Meetings can be conducted via phone & video conferencing.

Statutory Demands - Advice for Debtors

The solicitors at Clough & Willis can help with all aspects of statutory demands, including making a dispute if you are a debtor that has been accused of owing money. 

Contact our friendly, knowledgeable legal experts today by calling 0800 083 0815, or fill out an online enquiry form and we will get back to you at a time that is suitable for you.

What is a statutory demand? 

A statutory demand is a formal document by which a creditor can demand payment from a debtor. The debtor has a limited period in which to pay, after which, the creditor can petition to bankrupt an individual, or wind up a company.

What should I do if I receive a statutory demand?

If you have received a statutory demand, what you should do depends on whether you are an individual or a company. 

Advice for individuals

If you dispute the debt, you can apply to set aside the statutory demand in court. The application is made to the local County Court (which should be specified on the demand) and has to be supported by evidence.  

If the Court is satisfied that there is ground for setting aside the demand on reading the application, it will list a hearing that you will have to attend to show the District Judge why the debt is not owed. If the judge agrees, the demand will be set aside and you may be able to recover your legal costs. 

If you cannot dispute the debt, you can either pay the debt or take advice from a solicitor about what other options may be open to you  (such as a voluntary arrangement - an IVA). 

Advice for businesses

Businesses do not have the same option as individual debtors to set a debt aside. If the debt is genuinely disputed, then the company can make an application to the Court for an injunction, which could prevent a petition being issued. If this has already been issued, an injunction can be sought to prevent the petition from being advertised. 

It is not enough to send a defence to the creditor: a Petition may still be issued and costs incurred. 

If the debt cannot be disputed, then the company should pay or consider insolvency options, such as company voluntary arrangements (a CVA), administration or other rescue options.

Get in touch

If you are a debtor and have been issued a statutory demand, our legal experts - based at our offices in Bolton and Bury - can assist. Contact us today by calling 0800 083 0815 or fill out an online enquiry form and we will get back to you at a convenient time for you.

Debt Recovery News

What About Using A Statutory Demand?

Top Tips for Improving Cash Flow

Administration – Good Or Bad?

Read All Debt Recovery News

What Our Clients Say

Many thanks for the help, advice and guidance

Mr Martindale

I have had need to use other solicitors - but was unhappy with their performance. I would always choose Clough & Willis in the future

Ms Ball

I found Fiona very clear and to have a very pleasant manners, I felt she had a personal interest.

Dr Stein

I would like to take the opportunity to say Fiona Gaskell was more than helpful and went the extra mile during my disputed land situation. She remained professional but allowed personable approach. Thank you.

Ms J Hall

May I thank you for a first class service, excellent guidance and the support I received from you was wonderful and helped me to cope with a very difficult situation.

Mrs J Atkinson

Fiona Gaskell is a true professional along with her colleagues, many thanks for all your hard work.

Mr Dixon

Excellent service, more than we hoped for

Mr Andrew

Read all testimonials