Children Disputes Solicitors

Disputes between parents and relations over children can be painful. They should be resolved as soon as possible for the benefit of all involved, especially the youngsters concerned.

We are family law specialists accredited by Resolution and can advise on all child related disputes. We can also advise on the appropriateness of referring the dispute to a mediator and deal with negotiation of child arrangements on your behalf. If required, we represent parents and grandparents within Court proceedings.

The best interests of the child or children should be at the forefront of any decision-making process; however, specific child-related issues, such as, where they shall live, or how much time or otherwise have contact with any person can be resolved by the Family Court by applying for a Child Arrangements Order.  We aim to provide a service and solutions that are compassionate, appropriate and above all child-focused..

Court proceedings can usually involve applications for Parental Responsibility Orders, Child Arrangements Order. However, we also advise and represent parents on applications to the Court for Prohibited Steps Orders (e.g. to prevent one parent taking the child abroad) and Specific Issue Orders (e.g. the change of a child's surname, approve medical treatment, education, religious upbringing, etc).

On the 22nd April 2014, it became compulsory to attend a Family Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting (MIAMS) before making a family application to the Court. 

The Children and Families Act 2014 did not introduce and automatic entitlement to 'shared parenting'.  There is no parental 'right' to any particular amount of time with a child.  The Act instead refers to the importance of children having an ongoing relationship with both their parents after family separation, where that is safe, and is in their best interests.......a meaningful relationship is not about equal division of time, but the quality of parenting received.

There is a presumption that a child will benefit by retaining contact both parents and that contact should take place unless it can be shown to be detrimental to their welfare.  A parent opposing contact must show good reason as to why an Order should not be made.

Parental Responsibility

The mother of a child at its birth automatically acquires parental responsibility (PR).

A father can acquire PR in the following ways:-

  • Marriage to the mother (at any time).
  • Both parents entering into a Parental Responsibility Agreement.
  • Court order.
  • For a child born after 1 December 2003, the father will automatically acquire parental responsibility if with the mothers consent he is named as father on the birth certificate.

A step parent, may, following recent changes in the law, also acquire PR with the agreement of those with it already or otherwise by court order. However, it is always worth bearing in mind any person with PR may delegate it to another at any time. This can be done by a simple letter to evidence this and is often used for grandparents acting as child minders.

Key Parental Responsibilities

A person with PR has all the rights, responsibility and obligations for the upbringing of the child. If there is more than one person with PR, there is a duty upon them to consult on any issue concerning a child's upbringing which in the event of dispute may require an application be made to the Court for a Specific Issue Order.

Key roles include:-

  • Providing a suitable home
  • Having contact with/living with the child
  • Protecting and maintaining the child
  • Disciplining and providing for the child's education
  • Determining the religious upbringing (if any)
  • Agreeing to medical treatment
  • Naming the child/agreeing to any change of name
  • Accompanying the child outside the United Kingdom/agreeing to the child's emigration should the issue arise
  • Being responsible for the child's property
  • Appointing a guardian if necessary (for example in a will)
  • Allowing confidential information to be disclosed

Child Abduction Cases

The removal of a child out of the United Kingdom with the intent this be permanent is a criminal offence under the Child Abduction Act 1984 if done without the consent of any other person with parental responsibility or otherwise than with the permission of the Court. A person with a Residence Order may not remove a child from the United Kingdom for more than a month without the permission of the Court or otherwise with the written consent of all other persons with parental responsibility.

Child Taken Abroad

If you believe your child may be immediately removed from the UK (i.e. within 48 hours) you should contact the police and request they institute an "All Ports Alert". A photograph of the child assists.

In all child related matters, the welfare of the child is paramount. There are numerous specific factors taken into account in the Court's overall discretion as well as all the circumstances of the case.

Family Law News

It is Over?! - Reasons for Divorce

August 17th

A recent article in the Daily Mail repeated comments made on a search engine as to how people had discovered they were separating and, what had for them been the final straw. These are repea… Read More

BREXIT - How does this affect family law?

July 7th

Whilst the result of the referendum creates a current period of uncertainty the effect of European Legislation will continue for the foreseeable future until we do actually exit the Union. U… Read More

The rise of the "divorce mortgage"

June 3rd

Lenders are considering the offer of a product aimed at those having to cope with divorce and buying out the other spouses interest in the family home. Under the proposed plan, the lender wo… Read More

Read all Family Law news

What Our Clients Say

Having to go through the difficulties and complexities of a divorce, I am extremely pleased to have received the best possible legal advice and guidance from Marie. Marie has ensured that I have had my interests protected at all times, enabling me to relax, in the knowledge that all would be sorted.

Mr Willis

I just wanted to say thank you for your advice. I left your office feeling a lot better than when I went it. Your help and advice has really helped me

Client Satisfaction Comment

Particular thanks to Marie Whittaker and excellent choice of Barrister. Guided and helped us through a difficult and stressful time.

Ms Fallows

A big thank you to Mrs Whittaker I found her to be professional yet understanding in what has been a very difficult time for myself.

Ms Geraghty

You were great from start to finish. We were very fortunate to have Marie representing us. Many thanks to you all.

Mr Barlow

Marie helped me through a really rough time in a very professional manner.

Ms Jackson

Extremely pleased with the professionalism, the clear cut explanations and the manner in which my case was dealt with. Would have no hesitations in recommending Marie.

Ms Makin

I was extremely happy with the way Marie handled my divorce. She made it a less painful experience than it may have otherwise been. I have recommended her to a colleague who I also think is very happy.

Ms Witty

Marie kept me informed throughout a hard long winded case which was no fault of Clough & Willis. The case was concluded as quickly as possible with the least expense to me. Will use you again for sure.

Mr Evans

Everything was very professional and quick. I would use Clough & Willis in the future, if needed.

Mr Raw

My experience has been very positive, you are a great team! Always welcoming, always approachable and always efficient and professional. Marie supported me throughout a complex divorce and allowed me to do things in my own time and in my own way – this was important to me.

Ms Hawly

I was very happy about the service I received from Lee personally. He was very through in all areas and always kept me informed.

Mr Beadlestone

Thank you for doing your job so well! We are really grateful for your knowledge, expertise and professionalism which definitely helped to make an awful situation move along as smoothly as it could.

Ms Bentley

It is always good to know that I have a trusted advisor when I need help in the future, especially someone like Lee with his sympathetic manner and understanding nature. Not forgetting his sense of humour.

Ms MacKechnie

Thank you very much Lee for your support, help and advice in such a traumatic period of time. You were so professional. Thanks to you and your team I can forget about the last ten years. The house has finally been sold and I can get on with my life. I can’t wait to see what happens next.

Mr Price

Read all testimonials